People who have an OCPD personality disorder, tend to be perfect to the extreme, orderly, and neat. They want their standards to be maintained by others and hence they try to do that in a very severe manner.
- The characteristics that govern an OCPD personality include
- They are obsessed with being perfect, apparently leading to becoming even more inefficient
- They are people who are often in aloofness
- They are anxious and depressed simultaneously
- They find it difficult to express their feelings
OCPD personality disorder people don’t have an idea if there’s anything wrong with their behavior. They think and feel that whatever and however they think is right and others are wrong. OCPD is often mistaken with OCD but the fact is that these two conditions are different and not the same.
OCPD Risk Factors
Usually more than women, it’s the men that are at the risk of having OCPD. It is one of the most common personality disorders as per a journal of personality assessment. Also, those who are having existing mental health conditions have a probability of getting OCPD as well. Particularly people suffering from OCD of severe nature are at risk of getting diagnosed with OCPD.
The causes of this condition are yet not known but factors like genetics and childhood experiences can be considered as some of the causes.
- Always want to be on time and expect the same from others
- Paying extreme attention to every detail
- Engrossed in their work to an extent that they don’t ignore family and societal relationships
- Their mannerisms are rigid and stiff
- They keep on stocking items that are of no use
- They are stingy with money
One of the treatments for OCPD is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). You meet up with a counselor and undergo a few sessions where you talk about your anxiety, depression, or stress. The counselor emphasizes giving enough time to family as well as recreation rather than just work.
This process consists of breathing exercises to destress and decrease the sense of urgency and include yoga, pilates, and tai chi.