Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre & Research Institute is located in Bangalore, the capital city of Karnataka state. It is recognized by the Medical Council of India and the Dental Council of India. The Institute is binds itself in the realms of a pleasant and peaceful atmosphere of greenery that is enclosed within the boundaries of sector of Information Technology. The 65 acres campus enjoys a dual benefit of its location by any easy access to the essential facilities from the city as well as avoiding the pullulated and rushed areas of the busy city simultaneously. The campus of this Institution has laid imposing standards in free tertiary healthcare with love and compassion for the underprivileged and ailing. The institute focuses to deliver high quality, comprehensive, integrated medical education including innovative thoughts towards modern technology and research.
This institute is included in the directory of the World Health Organization, which is required for the college qualifications to be recognized internationally for purposes of higher postgraduate education and employment opportunities. It has tie-ups with University of Georgia, USA and University of California Several student and faculty exchange programs, CME seminars and research collaborations are included in the activities. Senior students are encouraged and allowed to participate in many of the Medical Education related programs and workshops conducted at VI MS & RC in association with Harvard Medical International.
Vydehi Hospital located inside the campus with a bedded strength of 1600, offering a wide spectrum of primary, secondary and tertiary levels of health care. The outpatient department receives 1400 patients – visits each day. There is a good mix of patients from the city of Bangalore and also those from hundreds of villages close to the campus. Being close to highway, the emergency center with the most modern facilities with a full range of diagnostic equipment and treatment options is easily reachable. Students can readily appreciate the significant amount of clinical knowledge and experience they can gain from all these.
The safety and security of our students has been given utmost importance in Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre campus. The entire campus is well compounded by walls and trained security men are posted in all strategic locations including the single main gate entrance. Several faculty members and hostel wardens live inside the campus in proximity to the hostels. It has a track record of no student intimidation or ragging incidences of any significance inside the campus since the inception.
All the classrooms and lecture theaters are well ventilated and many are even air-conditioned. Provision for multimedia presentations including models and visuals are made available in all the teaching areas.
Students who have an inclination towards research in addition to their course work and training will be able to find appropriate mentors in the areas of their interest.
Ever since the college started in the year 2001 each year Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre has admitted several NRI / Foreign students coming from different countries like USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Mid-east countries and Malaysia. The faculty and staff are aware of the various backgrounds from which these students come from and are able to reach out and provide the necessary social and academic help for every individual student to express his / her full potential.
The Director, The Advisor, The Principal, and the Wardens are all available to help any student with his / her problem when needed. The management and administration of Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre maintain an open door policy for any student to seek advice or get help in case of any difficulty experienced by any student. Student coordinator will facilitate such meetings with any of the officers whenever necessary.
The Institute encourages every student to stay in the hostel so that they can save a lot of time in their demanding schedule of studies and not waste it in long travels. It is certainly important that the first year is spent in Hostel. Whether an NRI student stays in the hostel or attend, as a day scholar the fees collected will be the same.
How well are the hostel rooms furnished? Are they air-conditioned?
Every hostel room has a desk, chairs, bookrack and godrej safe in addition to a cot without mattress. Students have to procure their own mattresses, pillows and sheets, The Maintenance staff will help to install a window A/c if a student can procure the same.
Are there facilities for parents or guardians to stay in the campus when they come to visit the students?
The Guest House and the Canteen facilities are available for the benefit of guests including students, parents and guardians. Single double and AC rooms are available on payment of reasonable charges. VIMS & RC does not allow anyone else to stay with the student in his / her hostel room. The college authorities wish to maintain a close rapport with the parents and guardians of students and they are most welcomed to meet members of the faculty or the Principal
Are students in the hostel allowed to visit their friends and guardians and stay overnight or the weekend?
Students are expected to let the Warden in charge know about their visit to the guardian and their expected time of return. These rules are only for the benefit and safety of the students and also give the information to their parents if they should call in the meantime.
- For these students there is a flexible plan that each student can use depending upon his / her own preferences.
- In hostels both Vegetarian and Non-vegetarian food is being served.
- There are two other eating facilities inside the campus.
- Thus one can see the alternatives and varieties of foods that are available for students in Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre.
For any NRI student, getting a visa for studies in Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre or for that matter in any major institution in India is not a problem. Most students prefer to come with a PIO card issued by the Indian Embassy. This gives a lot of privileges for students to come in and out of the country any number of times with ease. This Institute will be able to give the necessary papers to get a student Visa also for NRI / Foreign students. As a matter of requirement, all NRI foreign students should be cleared by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India and in this regard the institution will help with the process.
Do you have a dress code for the students?
- Even though no specific uniform is prescribed, students are expected to maintain decorum. They are not suppose to wear T shirts, Jeans, shorts, sandals and sneakers to the class rooms, laboratories, and hospitals.
- Students are expected to wear white lab coat within the colleges and the hospital premises at all times.
- Girls are expected to wear selwar kameez and sarees.
- Short dresses and skirts are discouraged.
- VIMS & RC respects the religious customs and sentiments of every student.
Yes! The laundry in VIMS & RC serves the needs of students and the services have been rated satisfactory by the students.
Are there banking facilities inside the campus?
ATM facilities are available. Students can maintain their bank accounts in these facilities.
Are students permitted to keep valuable things in their hostel rooms?
Although the hostel rooms are considered reasonably safe it is important that students do not bring valuable items with them like expensive jewelry, cameras, antiques, lap top and basic non expensive music equipment (that will not make loud music) and their day to day needs.
Are there student counselors easily accessible inside the campus?
Yes! Student counselors are available to give necessary help to students in social, psychological, academic and career related areas.
What facilities do students have in case anyone falls sick?
There is a special clinic for students and staff during all working days. The services of the Casualty department at Vydehi Hospital are open to all the students 24 hours of the day. Students are expected to contact these facilities without delay if they fall sick.
Is it possible to move into the hostel a few days ahead of the day of college commencement?
Yes! Hostel rooms will be ready and assigned 7 days ahead of the date of commencement of the courses. Students can receive the keys from the Security Office during working hours (9:00 am to 4:30 pm).
The subjects covered in the first two semesters are as follows:
- Human Anatomy including histology and embryology.
- Human Physiology including Biophysics.
- Introduction to humanities and Community medicine.
- All the books necessary for the above courses are available at the bookstore / gift shop in the campus and are easy to procure.
- There may be changes in the recommendation of books according to the professor and head of each department and they will guide the students during the orientation period.
- Certain standard books that are used are as follows:
- Cunningham’s Manual of Anatomy (3 volumes)
- A.C Guyton’s Textbook of Physiology
- Harper’s Biochemistry (Robert K.Murray & Daryll K.Garner)
- The courses that are to be taken in the first year of BDS is as follows.
- Human Anatomy (Head & Neck)
- Dental Materials.
Where can we get a copy of the regulations and syllabus for the MBBS / BDS course?
Each year the syllabus and regulations are updated and the booklets are made available to the students in the College office
It is important that on admission the following documents have to be handed over the Office Superintendent
- Original High School Transcripts
- Original High School Diploma (If already received by the candidate)
- Photo copies of the first page of passport with the photograph and also the VISA to enter the country (Provisional student VISA, Student VISA, PIO Card)
- A statement to show that the high school in which the student has studied has been accredited by the State / Country
- Two passport size photographs and two stamp size photographs